I'm Ben Zeigler and I have 12 years of experience in the gaming industry, primarily in AAA game development. I have gained extensive experience in developing games using Unreal Engine 4 during my last 7 years working at Epic Games. At Epic I was the lead gameplay programmer on Fortnite and a senior engine programmer on the Gameplay Framework team. I have touched most of the engine and my knowledge is split between low level features like memory allocation/data serialization, and high level features like blueprints. I am now primarily focused on indie game development but I still actively work with the team at Epic to improve the engine.
- Gameplay ability system
- General gameplay programming
- Engine workflow for programmers and game designers
- Data loading and cooking
- Performance and memory optimization
- Complicated data-driven games
I spend most of my time working on my own indie game development or working on the engine, but I am also looking to work with companies or indie developers to help them better take advantage of the engine. I am interested in short term contracts primarily, either in person or remote.
I am very interested in:
- Helping an experienced team transition to using UE4 for the first time
- Working with small indie developers to take advantage of the engine
- Working with gameplay programmers to architect systems that use blueprints efficiently
- Fixing complicated bugs that interact with deep engine systems like serialization
- Optimizing CPU performance and memory usage late in a project's development
- Something else!
If you're interested, please contact me at email@example.com and we can work something out.